When the team at X5 Management provides business consulting services to leaders and executives, we often get asked the same question – what is the secret of success?
In truth, there is no magic wand to ensure success. Success is a long, winding road that others aren’t even aware of. Much like an iceberg, others only see 10% of what it takes to be successful.
But there are some major commonalities to success. Below is a list of the top 5 secrets of success which have been used by other leaders and executives across a variety of industries.
1. Focus: Much like golf, in order to hit the perfect shot consistently, you must hit the ball in the head’s “Sweet Spot.” It takes practice and focus to be able to make the shot on a consistent basis, and the same is true for business. No matter what you do, give it 100%, whether it’s being involved in a conversation or meeting, to writing emails and proposals. Block out all other distractions and FOCUS on the task at hand. If you’re having difficulty focusing, set an alarm on your phone for 20 minutes. Try focusing on just the one task for 20 minutes and then see how you feel. Most of the time, you will not want to stop at the end of those 20 minutes.
2. Prioritize: Every business person knows what it feels like to have a to-do list a mile long, but there are only so many hours in a day and only so much energy and focus to go around. In order to make sure you’re using the most of your 24 hours, be sure to put some thoughts into your tasks and set yourself up with only a maximum of 3 major tasks to complete in a day that will require a lot of focus, such as writing a proposal, completing important research or business development activities. In addition, be sure to delegate tasks that you are able to, or that are better suited to a contractor or employee’s strengths. We see a lot of leaders and entrepreneurs try to do tasks that are either out of their skill set or that are sucking time away from activities that will help lead them towards success.
3. Think Positively: It may sound trite, but keeping a positive and motivated mindset will help get you through those tougher days or moments. Keep positive notes in your bathroom mirror that you read every morning, read at least one motivational article per day or follow motivational and successful people on social media to help keep yourself motivated.
4. Get Rest: There will always be a million things to do, but you are only human and you only have so much energy each day. In order to combat willpower depletion be sure to take the time to get rest and relaxation. While it may sound contrary, the better rested and relaxed you are, the higher quality of work you will be able to accomplish, so be sure to invest in yourself as well as your company!
5. Improve your Capability: Capability is the backbone of any successful person. While you can be focused and willing to put in the practice time, you may never be that great at a particular task or activity. Do you have the basic skill sets that allow you to do certain tasks well and in an efficient manner? If not, you may want to work on improving these capabilities. While this may sound easy to apply, that is not necessarily the case. If you struggle with increasing your capabilities, consider getting a copy of The Power of Focus by Jack Canfield. It’s a great book to help you meet your goals, whatever they may be.
If you’re interested in learning more about X5 Management’s business coaching services, Contact Us.