I am the eternal optimist and “almost” always see the glass half full. Do you see your glass half full?….or half empty?
If we can spend more time thinking about what we have, or what is possible in our life, there is a greater opportunity to be optimistic…agreed?? “Optimism doesn’t wait on facts. It deals with prospects. Pessimism is a waste of time.” -Norman Cousins
Here are my Top 5 reasons to be optimistic, regardless of the circumstances.
1. Belief in yourself The more you believe in yourself and your ability to think and cope with more challenges, it is my belief that you will become more optimistic about the road ahead. Ask the baby eagle who is pushed from the nest. As he starts to fall, he must be thinking: “I can do this, because I believe in myself.
2. It beats the alternative If you decide not to be optimistic there is no one other choice, but to become a pessimist. As I see it, becoming a pessimist is not an ideal alternative. You will have challenge attracting good things and good people in your life. Ask a pessimist how things are going for them. I am pretty sure you will not be drawn to their world…..unless of course you are a pessimist.
3. Time We will always have ups and downs in life, but if we give it enough time things generally turn around for us. If we go through a rough spot be optimistic that it will get better. The older you are the more you can relate to this. Think about it…..if an 11-month old child could talk and they acted like an adult they may sound like this. “Man, I am never going to get this walking thing down….it is too hard, and ya you make it look easy, but that is you. Everything is easy for you.” Of course an 11-month can’t talk, and even if they could, they wouldn’t sound that pessimistic. Think about it…!
4. Look around you If you look long and hard, (sometimes you don’t have to look very hard) there is always someone who has it worse then you do. I have experienced that several times in the last week alone. Life can always be worse, but remember, life can always be better!! Another great reason to be optimistic.
5. Positive attitude Optimism makes you feel good. The more optimistic you are the more positive you feel. It can create momentum for you in a good way. Having said that, you can’t always get what you want, but you can be optimistic that good things will continue to come your way. Smile when those around you frown to maintain that positive attitude!